Monday, October 24, 2011

In Paris There is a Fair for Everything

So says my friend, GH. And this week were two of the best.
First, the Salon du Chocolate.

Salon du Chocolat by portmanteaus
Salon du Chocolat, a photo by portmanteaus on Flickr.


A perfect Sunday. The sun was shining. A light breeze. About 60 degrees. I only needed a sweater. I headed out. So did half of Paris, because when I arrived at the salon, I had to fight my way through the stampeded of people just to get into the official queue. And then once there, I was constantly amazed at the French talent for evading lines. I really thought I was holding my own, but then I would look ahead and see someone 30 people ahead that had just been next to me. How do they do it? Never mind though. All the pushing and shoving was worth it, because once I FINALLY had my ticket and was through the door, I entered a chcolate wonderland.

All of my favorite Parisian chocolate shops were there in one place. No reason to trapse all over the city (or the country for that matter). AND they were handing out samples like it was Christmas. I tried to pace myself so I didn't fall into a sugar coma right away.

And then today, the Salon du Livres et Papiers Ancienes. Rather than the sweet melange of sugar and cacao that is chocolate, I had to talk myself down from buying too much of the musty, dusty amazing ancient French posters and translations of Edward Gorey books and instead concentrate on old labels and postcards, which are considerably more transportable and infininently less taxing on the wallet (it's so easy to forget that the Euro is so much stronger than the dollar).

Later this week there is a Salon des Artistes Contemperain. My friends Flo and Jacky (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amblard-Guyard-peinture-et-sculpture/193888397311917) will be showing their amazing painted sculptures. No doubt I will have stop myself from buying something there too.



1 comment:

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

OK, I am officially way too jealous, bien sur!